Hong Kong, 14 November 2018 — Wharf Hotels is pleased to announce that two of its leading associates were awarded with prestigious wins at this year’s BMW Hotelier Awards for Greater China, held on 30 October in Shanghai, China. Vice President, Human Resources, Ms Juliette Lim, took home the “Asia Pacific Corporate Hotelier of the Year” for the group, with Ms Shirley Rong, Director of Rooms of Marco Polo Wuhan, winning “Front Office Hotelier of the Year, Greater China”.
This year, the fifth annual Hotelier Awards was attended by over 300 hoteliers and industry professionals with 20 prominent awards presented. The judging panel consisted of high calibre experts from Jones Lang LaSalle Property, Hospitality Design, Alibaba-Fliggy, Cieas and Dai Bin, and the National Tourism Data Centre.
The company’s pride began with Dr Jennifer Cronin, President of Wharf Hotels, winning the “Asia Pacific Corporate Hotelier of the Year” in 2016. A total of eleven top awards have been won by the group since its winning journey at The Hotelier Awards in 2016. The biggest win for the group came in 2016 when five leaders and associates bagged the occasion’s top awards and took the industry by storm overnight, an impressive achievement for a small 17-hotel operation.
Juliette said, “this year, we are thrilled to have had twelve highly capable associates recognised as finalists at The Hotelier Awards competing for titles in ten distinct categories. At Wharf Hotels, we believe in honouring and developing our talent within our group and inspiring the younger generation to pursue a successful career in the hospitality industry. We are delighted to share the same mission as the organiser in nurturing and acknowledging talent, and I am humbled to accept this symbol of recognition of my commitment to hoteliers and our guests globally. It motivates me and my team to strive for higher excellence.”
With a transformational approach for Wharf Hotels, Juliette saw the need for a high performing and winning culture within the organisation, engineering a resounding recognition strategy by participation in different award nominations.
Beginning academia as a scholarship student, Juliette completed her Master’s degrees in Communication Management and Educational Leadership. Her commitment to professional and personal development was recognised with her appointment as the Honorary Advisor for the School of Business & Hospitality for the Caritas Institute of Higher Education in April. This year, her team was conferred “Top HR Team in Asia” by HRD Magazine, Asia and her corporate leadership has been steered with the successful rollout of the group’s Red Ring Leadership Philosophy governing growth parameters for all associates.
As this year’s winner of Front Office Hotelier, Shirley began working in the hotel industry as a trainee before graduating from university. From Receptionist to Guest Service roles, Shirley rose through the ranks finally taking the helm as Director of Rooms of Marco Polo Wuhan, having also task forced at sister property openings, and has built rapports across all disciplines at her hotel. As a leader in guest service, Shirley has cultivated a sustainable mindset across her peers and colleagues.
The BMW Hotelier Awards Greater China 2018 Winners and Finalist list
- Ms Juliette Lim, Vice President, Human Resources, Wharf Hotels – Asia Pacific Corporate Hotelier of the Year winner
- Ms Shirley Rong, Director of Rooms, Marco Polo Wuhan - Front Officer Hotelier of the Year winner
- Mr Rick Lam, Owner Representative, Marco Polo Lingnan Tiandi, Foshan – Owner Representative finalist
- Ms Susi Li, Director of Sales and Marketing, Marco Polo Lingnan Tiandi, Foshan – Sales Hotelier finalist
- Ms Kathleen Pan, Director of Human Resources, Marco Polo Lingnan Tiandi, Foshan – Human Resources finalist
- Mr Tony Lo, Chief Concierge, Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel - Concierge Hotelier finalist
- Mr Edward Lau, Banquet Operations Manager, Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel – Food and Beverage Hotelier finalist
- Mr Leonardo Morales, Executive Assistant Manager - Restaurants, Bars and Events, Niccolo Chongqing – Food and Beverage Hotelier finalist
- Mr Sean Zhang, Director of Finance, Marco Polo Changzhou – Finance Hotelier finalist
- Mr Anton Kilayko, Brand Director, The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel – Marketing and Communications Hotelier finalist
- Mr Tenny Kwok, Director of Engineering, The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel - Engineering finalist
- Mr Tom Yu, Director of Engineering, Niccolo Chengdu – Engineering finalist
More details about the winners are available at https://hotelierawards.cn/the-2018-awards/2018-winners/.
About Wharf Hotels
The Spirit of Discovery
Emanating the spirit of discovery, Wharf Hotels, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Wharf (Holdings) Ltd, is based in Hong Kong and currently operates 17 owned or managed hotels under Niccolo or Marco Polo Hotels in Hong Kong, China and the Philippines. Niccolo Hotels was added to the group’s portfolio in 2015 as the new luxury collection, positioning the brand as contemporary chic. The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel, opened in January 2018 as the brand's flagship hotel, with one new Niccolo hotel currently under development in China following successful openings in Chengdu, Chongqing and Changsha. Marco Polo’s international deluxe hotels in established locations within China, Hong Kong and the Philippines maintain their ethos to explore, discover and experience a destination, drawing on the philosophies of their namesake, Marco Polo: an adventurer, a traveller, an entrepreneur and a connoisseur of culture - just as Marco Polo’s modern travellers are today. Further details are available at wharfhotels.com.
About Global Hotel Alliance
Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) is the world’s largest alliance of independent hotel brands, bringing together 32 brands with over 500 hotels in 78 countries. GHA uses a shared technology platform to drive incremental revenues and create cost savings for its member brands. GHA’s award-winning loyalty programme, DISCOVERY, provides 12 million members exclusive opportunities to immerse themselves in local cultures wherever they travel. For more information, visit discoveryloyalty.com.